We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Repotting an orchid is an important step in the speed of the plant.
Repotting well cannot be improvised ...
After blessing you with a beautiful bloom, your orchid seems a little stale and you don't know how to restore it.
One of the first things to do is repot it in a new pot.
Follow our potting tips for orchids and you will see that within a few days it will have already regained vigor and will be ready for another flowering. (Photo © svehlik)
Repot an orchid in video
Repotting is done in general every 2 to 3 years, regardless of the time of year but always after flowering.
This plant does not like to be disturbed and too frequent repotting could weaken it.
Choosing the right pot for repotting
The pot is determined by the size of the plant.
It should not be too small, at the risk of making the orchid unstable, nor too large because the roots need to be tight to develop the flowering.
Usually choose a pot with a diameter just a little larger than the previous one.
Substrate, best suited soil
The one available on the market under the name "Orchid soil" is perfectly suited.
It is rich in composted maritime pine bark.
- Find our sheet dedicated to orchid substrate.
Technique of repotting an orchid
- Gently remove the plant from its original pot.
- Clean the root system: damaged or rotten roots.
Take a razor blade that you have disinfected for this.
- Also remove faded flowers and fragile or damaged stems.
- Fill half of the new pot with its substrate.
- Position the orchid in the center
- Fill the rest of the pot with the substrate, packing very lightly.
- Keep the plant in a humid and warm universe but without direct sun and without watering for 3 to 4 days.
It will now take a few days for your plant to get used to this new pot and 1 to 2 weeks for the roots to heal.
Also read about the orchid:
- Caring for an orchid, the phalaenopsis
Smart tip about repotting the orchid
It is useful to repot the orchid to restore its radiance, improve growth and flowering over the seasons